Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

DIY: Aztec t-shirt

I love Aztec print and thought I would try and design my own aztec print t-shirt byt using fabric paints. This design was really easy to do you don't have to be an artist to design a top like this. It's just basic colouring in.

Imagery by Floralpolkadot
All you need to make this top
-1 White plain baggy top
-4 different colours of fabric paint
-2 paint brushes 1 thin and 1 thick brush
-cardboard
-a soft pencil
-ruler

I place the t-shirt over the cardboard, this is so the fabric paint doesn't print on the otherwise. And to have a flat base so it is easier to draw and paint onto the t-shirt.
At first I tried loads of different designs on a piece of paper and when I was happy with my final design. I drew the design onto the t-shirt with a soft pencil as it's easier to draw on the fabric. And a ruler to get perfect lines.
imagery by Floralpolkadot

When painting the dots on the t-shirt I didn't draw dots with a pencil I just drew a line and free drew the dots. If you have a really steady hand it's so easy to do. I used a black colour for the dots.
imagery by Floralpolkadot
Imagery by Floralpolkadot

I started to paint the triangle shapes. I found it easier to draw the outline of the triangle with a paint and then colour the middle in. I used a red on the first triangle but you can use any colour you want.
imagery by Floralpolkadot

imagery by Floralpolkadot
Imagery by Floralpolkadot

I then used a navy blue to colour in the line of triangles.and I used a silver paint to colour in the other triangle. I wasn't to sure about the metallic paint but it works really well with the navy. But shin it's up to you which colours you want to use.
Imagery byt Floralpolkadot
imagery by Floralpolkadot
imagery by Floralpolkadot
Imagery by Floralpolkadot

imagery by Floralpolkadot

imagery by Floralpolkadot

imagery by Floralpolkadot

To finish off the t-shirt I free hand drew mini lines in a row. The lines do nit have to be perfect. This makes the t-shirt a little better. I used a red paint to finish it off but it's up to you which colour you want to use. I then added more dots the t-shirt.
imagery by Floralpolkadot

imagery by Floralpolkadot

voila at the t-shirt is done
Leave it to dry for about an hour or so and your ready to go.


1 comment:

  1. This was such a great idea! I'm going to find an old t-shirt now.. :)

    -j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete